Saturday, November 29, 2008

Beware the Pierogi

Today is Holiday Pierog-a-rama, and the better half has friends of Polish extraction coming over. In a bygone era, it would have been babushka-ville in the house today, but the modern woman wouldn't dare.

Next Saturday, Dec 6, Joe Gagnon from WAAM will be at the store from 11:15 - 1:15. He spoke on-air about the event for about five minutes a little while ago. How cool is that? We hope the event adds a lot of visibility to the store... we could use a little Holiday Shopping bump.

Article on CW here. I think a lot of the stigma about using recycled cartridges is wearing off. People are finding that recycled cartridges aren't junk. Well, they aren't junk, and everyone to whom we've shown the process has been impressed at how detailed it is. There is a lot of there, there.

HTTP-wise, I have a fun project. The son of a local wine merchant built hisself a PC. Problem is, it developed a condition in which it won't stay on. He tried to reinstall the OS, but that didn't help. I took it back to the test rack, and what I found was a loose screw under the motherboard. The screw was causing a short to the case, and the power supply's thermal breaker would trip. Now, I just need to reconnect everything, and retest. I also noticed that he's using XP Home, and has 4GB PC-6400 RAM installed. Also has a dual core CPU. I will counsel the young lad to rethink his OS strategy, as XP won't use multicore efficiently, and its a 32-bit OS, so it won't use all of the 4GB either. I would go with Vista Home Ultimate.

As with the recycled cartridges, there is a lot of misconception about Vista. People are slow to accept new paradigms; I'm just as guilty.

No comments: