Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Go Phish?

First thing in this morning's email is a nasty-gram from Comcast. It says:

Dear Comcast Subscriber:

ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s) have been used to send unsolicited email ("spam"), which is generally an indicator of a virus. For your own protection and that of other Comcast customers, we have taken steps to prevent further transmission of spam from your computer(s).

And then goes on to give URLs that I can click on to remedy the problem.

Its really authentic looking, and Comcast is my cable/VOIP/ISP provider, so it is possible, right? Except that I haven't used that account to send any email whatsoever. Its basically a receiving account for things like newsletters. Therefore, I'm calling BS on the phishy email. My PC(s) are without any spambot infestations, and I'm not interested in downloading any right now.

I haven't called Comcast and I probably won't. Try to get through their phone maze of gatekeepers... I dare you. Truthfully, if they blocked my account from outbound mail, I'd never notice anyway.

Today's lesson: Be very careful about clicking on any links in an email if the email seems at all, in the tiniest bit, suspicious.

No comments: