Monday, June 15, 2009

About time for mine

Finally happened: I was using the laptop, upon which I rely for everything, and it *died*. Right there, mid type-stroke, just died. I nearly did as well. But, then I remembered that I am a Computer Professional, and I tried to figure it out.

As I've mentioned before, the laptop runs hot enough to prepare eggs on, as it has an AMD processor. I run SpeedFan to keep an eye on temp, and it regularly runs ~77C. Thats pretty darn hot.

After I waited a few minutes, I was able to turn the laptop back on, so I backed up all the important stuff and purchased a laptop cooling fan. Took 15C off the temp right away. It was $35, and I would recommend you run right out and buy one right now. Just go.

Extra - Make sure all your browsers are up to date. Its getting a lot worse out there for exploits and fake sites that serve up malware. I took a false virus fix off a client's machine the other day, a bit of crapware called "ErrorFix". Google it and you find removal instructions - thats the first clue that it may not be legit.

Don't be afraid to Google things if you don't recognize them. Sometimes Google with the words, Scam or Removal.

No comments: